**"If Jesus gives us a task or assigns us to a difficult season, every ounce of our experience is meant for our instruction and completion if only we'll let Him finish the work. I fear, however, that we are so attention-deficit that we settle for bearable when beauty is just around the corner."**-Beth Moore
"My determined purpose is to be my utmost for His highest— my best for His glory." Oswald Chambers
"When You FACE UP to God's Glory, You Find Yourself FACEDOWN in Worship." Matt Redman
"True Worship has nothing to do with the type of music but the words in the music and coming to the Lord in Total Adoration"Unknown
"God loves you just the way you are, but he refuses to leave you that way." ~ Max Lucado

Friday, September 26, 2008

The Shack.....and its wrong teachings


!!! THIS WAS WRITTEN BY JEFF BAXTER OF FBC!!!


!!! I HAVE TO SAY I AGREE WITH ALOT OF IT!!!





""After reading one of my mentor's blogs about a review on the bestselling book, The Shack, I was concerned even more about this book, but not surprised by the world's positive response. I had to read more online and blog about it here. There are many, including some of my friends who are intrigued by the book. First, whenever something new - said in a different way (we say the word 'relevant' today) - comes out, the world tends to flock to it - saying subliminally "the old ways are outdated" - like studying the Scriptures in a logical (systematic) way is not relevant anymore, so we need a fiction novel to explain it to us. This is scary stuff.There have been so many "theological fiction" books on the market recently that should cause alarm for believers in Jesus. Books like "Divinci Code" (and movie) and several by Brian McLaren and the emergent folks are in the same theological camp as The Shack. They are mixing a little truth with serious doctrinal difficulties, cooking it in lard and presto a new way of thinking that is more relevant "emerges." The problem is when these books are challenging the "old" truths of Scripture and pronouncing them as not good enough for the future (did that rhyme)?One blog by Tim Challies said these words in an overall wise review of the book.
So where does all of this leave us? It is clear to me that The Shack is a mix of good and bad. Young teaches much that is of value and he teaches it in a slick and effective way. Sadly, though, there is much bad mixed in with the good. As we pursue his major theological thrusts we see that many of them wander away, by varying degrees, from what God tells us in Scripture.Despite the great amount of poor theology, my greatest concern is probably this one: the book has a quietly subversive quality to it. Young seems set on undermining orthodoxy Christianity. For example, at one point Mack states that, despite years of seminary and years of being a Christian, most of the things taught to him at the shack have never occurred to him before. Later he says, “I understand what you’re saying. I did that for years after seminary. I had the right answers, sometimes, but I didn’t know you. This weekend, sharing life with you has been far more illuminating than any of those answers.”Throughout the book there is this kind of subversive strain teaching that new and fresh revelation is much more relevant and important than the kind of knowledge we gain in sermons or seminaries or Scripture. Young’s readers seem to be picking up on this. Read this brief Amazon review as an example: “Wish I could take back all the years in seminary! The years the locusts ate???? Systematic theology was never this good. Shack will be read again and again. With relish. Shared with friends, family, and strangers. I can fly! It’s a gift. ‘Discipleship’ will never be lessons again.” Another reviewer warns that many Christians will find the book difficult to read because of their “modern” mindsets. “If one is coming from a strong, propositional and, perhaps, fundamentalist perspective to the Bible, this book certainly will be threatening.” Still another says “This book was so shocking to my “staid” Christianity but it was eye opening to my own thoughts about who I think God is.” At several points I felt as if the author was encouraging the reader to doubt what they know of Christianity—to deconstruct what they know of Christian theology—and to embrace something new. But the faith Young reconstructs is simply not the faith of the Bible.For the full review go to here.Other pastors and theologians have joined the conversation about The Shack. Chuck Colson is disturbed by “the author’s low view of Scripture.” Al Mohler and Mark Driscoll are more specific:
This book includes undiluted heresy…It is a deeply troubling book…It is intended, undoubtedly, as a way of trying to bring about some kind of redefinition or new understanding of the Christian faith…The main character says at one point that he now understands that everything he learned at seminary was basically all wrong. Mark Driscoll, who is concerned that Young’s vision of God the Father is an African-American woman called “Papa,” says, It’s goddess worship. If God the Father is really God the Mother, that changes everything…If God reveals himself to us as father, we are to honor him as father."Many things concern me about The Shack, but let me take one (maybe more insignificant to many) from the book coupled with comments by Amazon readers. Some said that their seminary education left them high and dry. They said in essence that they came away with a cemetery of death experience and not a seminary of life experience. I need to part paths with the main character of The Shack and Amazon bloggers at this point. My theological training could not have been better. Columbia International University in Columbia, South Carolina was a fantastic experience of sound Biblical training from passionate and educated men and woman. To give you an example, today's President, Dr. Bill Jones approached me after class one day when he was still a professor and asked, "Would you like to be in an accountability relationship with me?" I thought this was strange coming from my professor, but it revealed his humility and discipleship heart. I said "yes" and off we went. I learned so much about character, evangelism, discipleship and passion. Years later, I would attend Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, California where I worked on my doctorate with Dr. Chap Clark. This was another level of enriching theological education where I graduated with a greater passion for Jesus Christ and equipped further for ministry to the next generation (the same group that is flocking to The Shack). This has opened up so many doors that I am so grateful for. My seminary experience was life-giving. Yours should be too.It is too bad that the character in The Shack (and other blogging and comment givers) was so disillusioned by his experiences that he missed Jesus and the Trinity of the Scriptures for all they are worth. Higher Theological training in a passionate and Biblically wise environment is a great ride of knowing Jesus and making Him known to a world in desperate need of a Savior. If you choose to read The Shack, please use discernment. WARNING: Everything you read is not good for your spiritual health. There is some truth, but much error for followers of Jesus Christ. If you are in need of a GREAT seminary training, I highly recommend CIU or Fuller.I have another suggestion. Instead of reading The Shack, do a word-study on 'Father,' 'Son' and 'Holy Spirit' to gain wise insights on the Biblical Trinity. There is a reason the Trinity can't be defined in human terms with gender specific boundaries with completeness. If it could, the One True God of the Scriptures would not be God.What do you think? I would love to hear your thoughts about The Shack and it's treatment of Biblical Theology.""

BY JEFF BAXTER

No comments:

Powered By Blogger